I bought fresh crabmeat before leaving Holly's house in Louisiana and this what I cooked with it! So so good.......Wish I had a picture to share but that thought escaped me when the timer went off and this was ready to eat! Yum! Have fun and enjoy making this dish as well as eating it.....just remember to pick through your crabmeat for pieces of shells to avoid the dentist!
Crabmeat au Gratin
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 12 oz cans low-fat evaporated milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 pound fresh crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 11x7 inch baking dish
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add flour and stir until well blended. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add a ladle of milk mixture to beaten egg yokes; stir well. Pour egg mixture into milk mixture in pan, stirring as you do so. Add salt, cayenne and black pepper; cook, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Place crabmeat in a medium bowl. Add sauce and mix gently, to avoid breaking down the crabmeat, but blend thoroughly. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and begins to lightly brown.
Serves 8 family and friends~Great with a tossed green salad and crusty bread!
"I've learned that all a person has in life is family and friends. If you lose those, you have nothing, so friends are to be treasured more than anything else in the world."~Trey Parker and Matt Stone