Monday, March 28, 2011

The Lion and The Lamb

March ends this week. It did roll in like an angry lion for me but hopefully it will go out like a peaceful lamb. That lion roared around all month, leaving me rethinking life’s probabilities. There were many tests; some oral, some silent, some I passed, and some, I admit, I failed. March is considered to be the time of transition from winter to spring. My March has been a transition of another kind…one of reflection, one of questioning, one of wonder…one of change. As I watched the season change in front of me through the rebirth of nature and blooms springing forth their beauty; I stood apart from it, wondering what was next.



After watching Army Wives and Coming Home last night while crying my eyes out, I thought of all our many service men and women. The choice they have made is like that of the lion, the king of beasts; brave, strong, and proud of his country. A fallen soldier that would give their very life to honor and protect our country is the bravest person I know. I can’t begin to imagine filling their shoes, walking their miles, bearing their load or withstanding their duty. If you are not familiar with the show Army Wives, last night’s episode depicted a young American soldier who lost his life on the front lines of battle. His parents lost their son who had not yet met his new baby sister. His whole life ahead of him and engaged to be married; life was just beginning for him….

This is real life, it happens, it’s not just a TV show. Mighty is the soldier of our country but even a great lion like him can be defeated and brought down, all while doing what he or she was trained to do. 

My thoughts then turned to my daughter’s sister-in-law, Ellen, who is currently serving in Afghanistan with the US Air Force. A young mother herself, she is with a medical team working at the hospital, saving lives and trying to put lives back together again. It seems so senseless to hear of people getting shot up and then fixed up, only to go at it again. And like any soldier would, sometimes I don’t even think they fully understand what the fighting is all about…what started it and why it is still going on. They just know their job; their call to duty and do it without ceasing. Ellen has seen more than any human eyes should be allowed to see, all while putting her self in harms way too. She has mended lives that have met battle and has even seen death… Americans and Afghanistanians alike… Soldiers, men and women, and even little children. My heart bleeds and aches.
…and yet we march on, sometimes proud, brave, and mighty like that lion and sometimes, meek, humble, and frightened like a little lamb. I am more like the lamb. God help me to be brave and strong for whatever purpose You have for me, yet gentle and humble when I need to be. "Because THE LORD IS MERCIFUL to us, we are not consumed...HIS compassions never fail."  ~Lamentations 3:22  God protects us like a mighty lion, keeping us safe and under his protection (if we allow) yet He is as gentle as a little lamb, loving us even though we are sinners.

Why can’t the whole world be as compatible as the lion and the lamb in this photo
...strong yet gentle, loving each other, and living in harmony?



It’s a beautiful day here…still wet from the rain we had yesterday. Everything is bright and clean feeling…the pollen is laying low right now *smiling*. My garden is growing and thriving and I am both blessed and pleased. We had a fellowship meal yesterday after church and I took Copper Penny Carrots along with a peach cobbler. I wanted to share this recipe with you for the carrots. I am not a carrot fan but I’m learning to like them, however… this recipe is so good even if you do not like them.

Copper Penny Carrots

2 pounds of fresh carrots, cut into small slices
1 small bell pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped into bite size pieces
1 -10 ¾ oz can to tomato soup
½ cup olive oil
1 cup sugar
¾ cup vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Bring carrots to a boil for about 10 minutes, do not over cook. Drain.
Do not cook onions and bell peppers.
Blend in saucepan all ingredients except onion, bell pepper and carrots. Heat until very hot and steamy. Pour over carrot mixture and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours.
Enjoy!

Please pray for all service men and women who are honoring our country. They are someone’s mother, daddy, son and daughter, wife and husband... young and young at heart. Would you, could you… take their place?


Happy Spring to you!
Eat your veggies, brush your teeth and smile a lot!


Photo of the lion and lamb from google search

12 comments:

Julie Harward said...

I do so love these brave men and women who step forward to defend our country! We pray for them all the time. I have this recipe and have been making it for years..love it! Have a good week :D

Char said...

god's mysteries - i admit i have a hard time understanding too and fail from time to time. ((hugs))

i love copper pennies and haven't had them in years because no one else in my family likes them. yum!!

The Simple Girl said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Cora! :) You are just one of those kindred spirits that have come in my life, through blog land. God bless!

Betty said...

I also cried when I saw Army Wives. I was one for 12 years and had that fear almost everyday. I do pray for all our Soldiers.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

The soldiers have been on my heart lately and I have been asking God why they can't come home, but I am not the one with full vision, I am just a mom whose heart breaks with all the stories. I am to remember them and their families in prayer.
Thanks for a beautiful piece, may your April bring you a season of spring joy!

Anonymous said...

i viewed both episodes and i was so teary eyed. i admire those that are in service and their families too. march has been tough...but, we will get through it. all we need is faith and love. lots of love to you my friend cora.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Cora, I have never seen this tv show. But I do have nephews serving in the military, one in the Army and the other in the Marines. And a daughter who is about to embark on a year of volunteer service. My thoughts are with ALL these dedicated and brave young people, weather they are in the Army, the Peace Corps or anything in between.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i will have to check out that movie

love the copper pennies

kary

christina said...

i been thinking of you everyday, my friend. our service men and women are constantly in my prayers.
xoxo

Unknown said...

Great post Cora..and I so appreciate all that our service men and woman do for us.. I do not have anyone personally in the service,but my son is in JROTC and one day wants to be in the Airforce..so I almost cringe everytime he talks about it.. I worry about him crossing the street,how will i survive him being in the service,, I know it is an honorable thing that they do,, but like you said..they are someones, son, daughter , mom , dad,,so on and so on..
I will continue to pray for their brave souls..

trish said...

Dearest Cora.
I felt every word you typed. My prayers continue for you as you go through this difficult time. May grace abound.
I wish I could hug each and every man and woman who signs up to serve our country. I am so thankful for what they do. I remember being a military wife. I never want to forget those days. I can't. So many babies were born with out their daddies there to see them. You just can't get that time back again.
Sincerely, Trish

BECKY said...

It is hard to understand all the things that make up this world of ours, huh? I praise God for those who are serving their country! What would we do without them? Where would the world be without the aid of American soldiers?

Glad your garden is coming along! Always a fun sign of spring! I sure enjoy all of your photos, Cora! You have an eye for beauty!!

Have a joyful week,
Becky