Tuesday, August 9, 2011

In A Pickle

Sticky sweet and spicy pickles…Oh so yummy good.  We had so many cucumbers from our garden that I just had to make these.  It only takes 10 days to make them but it is oh so worth it!!  No cooking involved.
Nope…not at all….easy peasy!
Homemade Sweet Pickles
Here's the tried and true recipe that I use each year
Try it if you like:

Homemade Sweet Pickles
This is a no cook 10 day recipe~
Approx. 5 gallons of cucumbers, sliced
1 cup salt
3 oz. alum
1 gallon of apple cider vinegar
5 lbs sugar
Pickling spices

On your kitchen counter in a very large bowl soak the cucumbers for 3 days in the salt. Jot down the time of day and do each step at the same time each day. On the 3rd full day rinse off the cucumbers in water three times.

Add 3 oz. alum and cover with water completely and stir. Soak for 2 days. On the 2nd full day rinse off with water 2 times.

Add 1 gallon of apple cider vinegar and soak for 2 days.  On the 2nd full day rinse off with water 2 times.

Add 5 lbs. sugar and pickling spices which have been bundled up in cheese cloth. Do NOT add water!  Soak for 3 days, stir each day.  Put into jars on the 3rd full day, with the spices and keep refrigerated.  This makes enough pickles that you will be willing to share with others!

***************

I finished the cover for my new grandbaby’s high chair over the weekend….it turned out so so cute!!  I have to share “flat” photos with you as the high chair is in Jacksonville at Holly’s house. 
Here it is with its cute polka dotted ruffle! Love it.


I will share a photo later with it set up in her kitchen which is decorated in these colors! Speaking of colors...the color in the photos is awful.  The colors are a true red, aqua and white!  Really pretty!
This was definitely a challenge for me…I had a pattern; the old cover which I took apart and used to cut by…but I had no instructions!  Ha…I had to think and think hard about how this went together…but it all turned out great…I did not have to rip any seams!! I didn't get into a pickle with this project...Yay! 
On  another note...I will not have to make the bedding for the antique cradle as I found what I needed already made.  A flat changing table pad fits perfect for the mattress which I will add one layer of something underneath for a little more cushion.  The bumper pad I found in the minky dot fabric…it is about 18” too long so I will have to make that adjustment.  I also found sheets that fit and all of this is in the ecru color for that antique heirloom look.  It is so pretty!!

My hubby, Jackie, the proud “Pa” to be, has been busy working on redoing a rocking chair for Holly to rock the baby in. 


It is solid and I do mean solid, so heavy that I cannot pick it up. 


The "before" photo looks really bad....he has been taking the varnish off by doing some sanding so that we can paint it white.  I will then have the pleasure of making a cushion to match.  The "after" photo will come later! 
Things are coming together in our  "grand baby plans", with still lots to do before December.  We also will find out this week if it’s going to be pink or blue; girl or boy!! 
I am so excited that I am about to bust!  This will lead to the painting of the baby’s room which I will go and do sometime later in the month.  Holly has been busy trying to pick out the crib bedding that she likes.  Richard said she has a new one picked for him to see every day!  She is really believing that they will be having a girl, not that it matters at all, but just has that feeling…you know..fast heart rate...etc!  I guess we will see this week!  Either way they are ready and are so happy!  I am so ready and so happy too!

Here is a picture of the cute apron my niece got me for my birthday! 
I love it!!  Thank you Cassidy!
Oh and by the way...don’t overlook my give away in my previous post.  After you comment here, come back and click here and follow the instructions to enter before the 19th of August!  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the pickles!

19 comments:

Libby Leatherwood said...

Cora, I love the high chair cover! Love, love, love the colors.. You did a great job!! Can't wait for tomorrow. Hope the baby moves so they will be able to tell :O) Lots to do....

Christine said...

Hi Cora - so glad I came by and read your wonderful news ! Congratulations to you all I'm so excited for you all and hope you let us all know if it's a boy or girl real soon!

Best wishes
Christine

Holly said...

The cover turned out so super cute. I cant wait! Tomorrow is the BIG DAY and we are about to pop and go crazy to find out! :) I know yall are crazy excited too! :)

Holly said...

O...... and Pa is doing such a great job on the rocker!!! You should add that it came from the dumpster :)

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Congratulations on your coming bundle of joy. Such an exciting week for you! The rocking chair has great bones and will look great after you are done with it. Can't wait to see =)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh have fun...first the pickles look great...and what else can be said on making things for the grand baby except, what a total thrill..how much fun

I love that you both are contributing...that is awesome.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

Brittany said...

You are so crafty!!! :) I absolutely love the high chair cover!!! I bet those pickles are delish...Our garden was a flop...Vacation+Super Hot Weather = Disaster!!!

I'll just stick to Wickles this year :)

Can't wait to find out what the baby is!!! Girl Girl Girl!!!

camp and cottage living said...

Hi
I just came over from Cozy Cottage to visit.
Your highchair pad is so cute. I love the pattern on the fabric.
Congrats to your family-it sounds like you can't wait until the baby arrives.

Unknown said...

Were still getting cukes too so I'll have to try this, thanks!! LOVE the fabric!!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

You are a busy busy woman. But it looks like fun stuff.
I really like sweet pickles, I'll have to print this off to use when we grow our next batch of cucumbers.

Oh and we picked up an old solid rocker at a garage sale that looks just like that for $25.00. My hubby took it completely apart and refinished it and it came out GREAT. So I know yours will too.

Have a fabulous day my friend.
Kim

GardenOfDaisies said...

The pickles look delicious!! Preparing for grandbaby must be so exciting!! I hope to have this opportunity someday.

The Old Parsonage said...

Looks like the Mama has it all under control. Well you and Pa and the new Mama and Daddy...

And those pickles sound yummy!

Leann

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

the cover is so cute.. the rocker will be too! happiness.

hjn said...

Cora!!! I am so very excited for you! I new baby coming! WOW! You will be the most perfect grandma!
Blessings Blessing to you all!

Unknown said...

Congrats! Carol. I know you must be so excited to know pink or blue.

Love that high chair cover. Now what will you do with the other chair ... hmmmm!

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

BECKY said...

Hi Cora! That cover is adorable! I know she'll love it!!

You are so talented! And now I really want some pickles!! HA!!

Have a joyful Sunday, sweetie!
Hugs,
Becky

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

The high chair cover is so sweet! I really can't wait to see pictures of that kitchen. I have never seen those colors together and it sounds really awesome! The polka dots finished it off and gave it just the right touch, love it so much Cora!

Holly cracks me up! The rocking chair came from a dumpster?? Are you kidding me?? Awesome find especially for being that sturdy and heavy, wow! I thought maybe it had been in the family, haha! It is going to be beautiful when you are finished with it!

Darling apron from your niece Cassidy... what a sweetheart!

Ollie said...

I love your blog, and the recepies look really great. I will visit often to find out what is new.

christina said...

such good times!
xo