Saturday, November 6, 2010

Making Sense

Fall at Church
6/30
Today I am thankful for my senses and my good sense, if that makes any sense.

I can remember when my daughter was very small and we were teaching her what things were called. We would point to our eyes and ask her “what is this?” She would reply “iiiiii’s”; nose was “noooozzz”; mouth was “mouff” and ear was “errrr”. It was so cute to be able to identify those very useful senses that God gave us. One can often take them for granted as we use them so much throughout our day without any thought to them. Unlike Helen Keller who never knew what it was like to see anything, or ever hear a single sound. Being unable to hear she could not talk either. What a sense of lonely darkness she much have felt, but “feel” is how she carried out her life and lived it fully!

“The best and most beautiful things in the world
cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.”
~Helen Keller
One of my favorite quotes!

I have the ability to see, even though my eye site is not good at all, I cherish what I have. I have the ability to smell some wonderful scents and aromas; therefore I can taste some very pleasing cuisine. I hear with my ears beautiful music, messages, sounds, noises, voices, and even silence. I touch; therefore I feel…which brings about many other senses.  Good and useful common sense is nice to have too, although I may not use it wisely in all cases. I thank God for all of these, whether there be five or five hundred.

Hopefully all this makes sense and you now have a sense
of your senses that will not leave you senseless.

~Saturday Love My Friends~

7 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I agree!! I think we often take our senses for granted until we experience a time without them or see one of our loved one's lose one of 'em. They are truly such a blessing...:)

Hope you have a restful weekend!

t does wool said...

beautiful gratitude~

Unknown said...

G'eve Cora ~ Beautifully written ... TY

Have a lovely weekend ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Anonymous said...

so thankful for our senses!

Tara said...

I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to be Helen Keller. To lose one of the senses would be bad enough, but to have two less would be so very hard. What an amazing human being she was! I know I am thankful for each and every one of my senses!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Nice post, Cora. It's always nice to stop here and read your post and see your pictures. Very nice.

Congratuations on your win at Sewn with Grace!

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Haha, love that last line and believe it or not... it made sense to me!

What is this building in the picture? Is it a church or a home? I adore those windows, they are lovely!

Speaking of hearing... I have to tell you about a miracle that has happened the past couple of weeks! Our pastor's daughter has been a special needs child since birth(she is 8 now). They almost lost her. She has not been able to hear or speak, they communicate through sign language. A couple of weeks ago, they did a cochlear implant surgery on her which gave her hearing! Then yesterday, they did another surgery on her to remove her trach tube! They said she was singing and trying to talk louder than the TV last night! What an incredible miracle God is doing in this family through their little girl. Can you imagine living your life with no sound and no voice then within a month you are able to hear and speak? Oh, it brings so many tears of joy!!