Thursday, September 24, 2009

Not Your Typical Tart

Tart- [taart] or [tahrt] –noun
     1. A pie that has no top crust and is usually filled with something sweet such as fruit or custard.
     2. slang . An offensive term for a female prostitute or a woman regarded as sexually provocative; a         promiscuous woman.
     3. Cora’s semi-sweet little cookies crammed with pecans and coated with velvety white sugar.
*I prefer #3 myself*
Simply sweet and easy to make…..I have been making these delectable delights since I was in my teens. Thank heaven for the dough hook in my KitchenAid mixer, I feel sure I burned up a few mixers of Mama’s, or maybe her Sunbeam was more powerful than they are today. This is a really thick and stiff cookie dough, with no need to chill before rolling into the little balls…its so fun getting your hands in the dough and rolling it around.


 I made these for the baby shower, which is coming up Saturday. After mixing and rolling approximately 120 of these little boogers, I was ready for a taste! So I picked out 8 of the no-so-pretty-shaped cookies so that Jackie and I could have a sampling after our supper. They were as good as I remembered. Yum Yum!

Cookie Dough and sugar rolling!
 
Here’s the recipe if you are unable to read from the photo.
*You would have to have really GOOD eyes!*

Sand Tarts
*To yield 60 tarts*

1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
5 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar plus extra for rolling
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
Cream softened butter with sugar, add the flour slowly, then add vanilla and pecans. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well. Do not burn up the mixer. *I burnt up my red Sunbeam stand mixer making Divinity one Christmas…bad deal* Roll into small bite-size balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake 335F to 350F oven for ½ hour. Roll cookies in the extra sugar while they are still a little warm but *NOT HOT*. Enjoy!

Be looking for the photos of the new mother-to-be at the baby shower where these sweet little things will be eaten up.


 Without GOD, our week would be:
Sinday, Mournday, Tearsday, Wasteday,
Thirstday, Fightday & Shatterday.

1 comment:

Char said...

oh, that's one of my favorite cookies. I begged a woman that I once worked with for the recipe because hers were so light and just exploded tenderly when I bit into them. She waited until she was ready to retire.

yum - I know they will be loved at the shower.